Recipe Type: Sauce/Condiment
My favorite salsa verde recipe, with both roasted and fresh tomatillos and creamy avocado.
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds tomatillos, husked and halved (quartered if very large)
- 2 jalapeño chile peppers
- 4 or 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- Canola or vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- Handful cilantro leaves (about a cup)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 avocados, diced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss half the tomatillos with all of the chiles, garlic, and onion on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, season with salt, and toss to coat. Roast until browned in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly; remove seeds and stem from chiles. Transfer everything to food processor along with remaining tomatillos, cilantro, and lime juice. Process until combined and season to taste (you'll need 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt). Pulse or fold in avocado (fold in gently to keep it chunky). Check for seasoning again and serve.