This recipe is part of the menu for sunday funday: an afternoon tea party. Click here to check out the video!
Recipe Type: Pastry
Serves: 8 scones
Candied ginger scones are addictive - be warned! Serve with your favorite jams and honey butter, if you like.
- 2 cups flour (whatever you like, I have used whole wheat pastry flour and white whole wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 3/4 cup chopped crystallized (candied) ginger
- Zest of 1 large or 2 small lemons
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal with chunks of butter the size of peas. Using a fork, stir in ginger and lemon zest; stir in cream until a dough begins to form.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until a sticky ball forms. Form the ball into a large disk and cut into 8 wedges, like a pizza. Place wedges on parchment-lined sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
- To make honey butter, combine 1/2 stick salted, room temperature butter with 2 tablespoons honey in a small bowl.