And you know what that means ... Time to shed those winter layers and get ready for bikini season.
Truth be told, being in NYC this winter has actually upped my gym game. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I belong to a gym that has great classes. There are cheaper gyms out there - but I believe that if you love your gym, you are more likely to go. I know for a lot of people the money also helps to motivate them. I'm not gonna lie ... for me, it's all about the steam room. :)
Another go-to motivator is new gear. Hence the purple running kix shown above. I am so excited to run outside more often again and new kix in my favorite color are a must.
So, my 2 big motivators for twerking it out are:
- Cute new gear that makes you feel good
- A new workout you enjoy doing
Because I belong to Equinox and a lot of my girlfriends up here do as well, I thought it would be fun to create a running list of all the best classes in NYC. (And you're all familiar with Lululemon, I'm sure, and so I can imagine you know how to take care of number one.) ;)
I'm into yoga, pilates, spin, and some cardio-ish classes. My faves at the Soho location are:
- Mary Dana Abbott for Vinyasa Yoga (she teaches a Thursday night and Saturday morning right now) - I love yoga and I've been less than impressed with a lot of the classes at Equinox but this one is great
- M. Lindsay Smith for Pilates Mat (a lot of daytime classes)
- Aida Palau for Deep EXtreme (Saturday morning) - this is hands-down, my favorite class ever and I almost didn't want to tell you about it because it's already so full every week but I just can't resist not sharing the love! This is a yoga-esque/cardio/barefoot/using your own bodyweight/free-spirited dance situation - heavy on the cardio! Sweat pours out of every inch of my body, and I am obsessed with the way I feel after. Aida also does Barre Burn, which is one of my favorite classes in general.
If you live in NYC and belong to Equinox, share your location and favorite classes below! I'm excited to venture out and try something new - and it'll be good to know for those times when you may be in a different part of the city and able to squeeze a class in somewhere new.
And if you don't belong to Equinox and want to share another class or other motivational tip ... please do, of course!